“our paper’s out! ~ am holding it right now!”
I gawked at the screen. Surely I was not mistaken when I read Ms. Arenas’ Facebook status yesterday afternoon. I clutched my chest. Funny how I could hear my heartbeat go thump thump. Gee. I haven’t been this excited-slash-restless-slash-anxious about “The Paulinian High” release since my editor days. I mean, why the hell am I so distraught right now?
Suddenly, within the bat of an eyelash, Ms. Arenas entered the college faculty room. True enough, she was holding copies of the school paper. I proceeded to meet her in an unbecoming fashion, wailing and bellowing in the most immature manner possible. Apparently understanding the cause of my excitement, she immediately handed me a copy of the tabloid. I took hold of it with the same eagerness as when I took hold of the first issue released during my stint as the Editor-in-Chief. The paper felt smooth and the colors seemed vibrant. My eyes gleamed in sheer anticipation.
“Page 8,” she said. Damn, she knew it. I shuffled through the pages and when we finally reached it, I felt my face grew warm. Ms. Arenas proceeded to talk about several matters regarding the layout, the picture selection, etc., but her words faded into the background, seeming gibberish amidst an explosion of fireworks within the very core of my persona. Sam Concepcion’s “Forever Young” played out of nowhere, and my eyes welled up.
My name on the article’s byline shone like a vampire in the sun. Ah, the sweet glory of the byline. It has been five years since my name has graced the pages of the publication. Finally, I’m back home.
I’m sure a lot of past editors could identify with my current display of sentimentality. After all, “The Paulinian High” is not merely a paper. Within each page is a haven of recollections that could readily fill an entire memory lane. Within each page is a retrospective mirror that reflects the feistiness and drive of an entire generation of youth. Within each page is a reservoir of tears, sweat, and blood cumulatively shed by young people who have worked their hearts off for the accomplishment of a single issue.
It’s not just a paper. It’s home.
That is why my gratitude goes to Ms. Arenas for providing me the opportunity to come back and write for the paper that has been the source of my inspiration to take on the challenging world of journalism, despite its many risks and perils. I know that there are a lot of TPH alumni out there who are in much better positions to write about their lives and their achievements; yet, here I am, still the 2nd TPH alumni to have been given the opportunity for a “homecoming” (the first being Ate Myka Rosales, one of my childhood heroes in the fields of journalism and public speaking). What an honor indeed!
Apart from my page (which, by the way, is hands down stunning), I also tried to browse through other parts of the paper. The entire paper was a joy to go through. The layout was very reader-friendly, and though I found it very neo-conventional, I laud the paper’s minimalistic touch. The past issues have employed very elaborate graphics and too many variations of text styles within a single page, making each page look more like a hodgepodge rather than an individual section. This issue, however, managed to cope with its predecessor’s preference of style over substance. Pictures have been selected carefully, thus leaving less room for distraction from the write-ups themselves. No graphics use is deemed unnecessary.
I am very happy that the quality of print was uncompromised, and I was impressed by the vibrancy of the colors, though I was at first fooled by its seemingly matte finish. I thought the use of a different color for each article space in the News pages was a smart move, albeit uncalled for. The latter made the paper feel magaziney, though not in an entirely detrimental way. Overall, the layout was a breath of fresh air, better than what the "The Paulinian High" has put out so far.
What caught my attention, however, were the articles themselves. Each material was rich in thought and issues were dealt with a profundity that comes by rarely for writers in such age group. No one among them chose to deal with trivial matters, making each read thought-provoking and interesting. Moreover, their mastery of the English language was bordering to absurdity. I mean, how do they do that? Man, these kids could sure write, I would mumble to myself; Heck I couldn’t write like this when I was in High school. Damn they’re good!
I’d be willing to bet anything when I tell you this: these guys will go much farther from here. Much much farther. They will be able to hover land, move mountains, reach the stars… yet hitherto, they remain in the loving hands of “The Paulinian High”.
Then again, I should know.
0 comments:
Post a Comment