Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Strangers talk

My parents have always taught me to never talk to strangers. At my age, I have never found a parental piece of advice more relevant to the peace and order status of our country. I find it funny though, that since my net worth is nowhere close to that of a Chinoy's, it would be inevitable to dismiss any kidnap-for-ransom threat on me as some sort of a joke to affront my current socioeconomic condition.

So 'badass' me paid no attention to mommy's stern caveats.

I tried visiting this site called omegle.com, a site that enables you to chat to strangers from all around the globe. During my short visit, I was able to make two new acquaintances: one from India and one from Canada.




It actually feels nice to talk to strangers once in a while. And in fairness to these 'strangers' I've had a few exchanges with, they were sane enough to have made me want to know the both of them better. Unfortunately, each session was halted by untimely circumstances. 'Tis such a pity, because I was able to enjoy my little chat with them, though our conversations may have been superficial in nature


Random fact: chances that we will encounter each other again in the vast space of the information super highway are infinitesimal (read: one in a trillion).


Anyhow, I find strangers fun to talk to because they offer you interesting insights… insights that are unadulterated by your own. You never worry about your reservations regarding the things you’re talking about, because you don’t worry about your reputation; that is unless you carelessly give out personal info while acting real crappy. Well, that wouldn’t be very nice, would it?

I think that this site is a very clever brainchild, though the thought of thousands of people out there looking for strangers to talk to kind of saddens me a bit. Does this mean that our generation is in such a dire need for social interaction that’s why we resort to such measures?

Well who am I to talk? I was also one of the 18,000+ lonely people searching for a sensible conversation when I visited omegle; and ironically, I found the short chats to be more therapeutic than that of the small talks with personal acquaintances.


No back talks. No back lags. Just two random people prattling at each other.

One topic would lead to another, like a CD mix rolling in a song after song nonstop. Just you age and your location at hand, nothing else matters. Then, after a hearty tête-à-tête, you leave the conversation with some cursory parting words. It is when you have already pressed the esc button that a pang of regret strikes you like lightning.

Why the hell didn't I ask for their names?


Looking forward to meet more strangers in the future! :)

2 comments:

  1. Im gonna try it. Btw, talkin gto strangers is not bad at all. Just choose people. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. carlohernandezandrion: You do not get to choose a stranger in omegle. Heed my warning though: a lot of horny people use omegle... a lot of horny guys who disconnect from the chat once they find out you're also a dude. Nuhaha.

    Reality sucks. :)

    ReplyDelete

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise