You used to know me like the back of your hand. Now, I doubt if you still know me at all...
I'm not used to
watching you from a distance. We've always been beside each other, hands
intertwined, inseparable. At least that’s the way it was five years ago, back
when we were still compulsorily clad in khaki pants and chequered skirts.
Do you still remember?
After classes, we
would walk around the entire campus, hand in hand, unmindful of the snoopy
glances and the occasional jealous glares from one of your many admirers. Our
teachers even used to tease us a lot, but we knew better. "We're best
friends," we'd say. Sometimes even simultaneously. What were the chances?
Ah, yes. The well-rehearsed retort to a most recurrent query.
I can still remember
how your hands turned moist at the warmth of mine. We must have been holding
hands for a long time. Then again, we never took notice, much less glance at
our wristwatches that always seemed to take forever to lead to 6:00PM—time for
us to say goodbye. Time, as if caught up by our public display of mawkishness,
always stood still.
Innocence
sure worked its way up to our heads, didn’t it? We were just best friends. That
fact seemed so undisputable that back then, the thought that my feelings for
you could go beyond friendship was inconceivable.
I had a
crush back then. You had a boyfriend. We spoke of each other’s weepies. That seemed
to be a perfect set-up.
Then, the
inevitable happened. We had to separate for college. You said you were going to
Manila to study. I wanted to come with you. Did you know you were one of the main reasons
why I even considered braving my parents to go? Aside from wanting to pursue the course that I
really desired, I also wanted to make sure that we would regularly hang out—watch
movies on weekends, talk about how difficult our subjects are, watch some
concerts, attend my recitals—you know, regular best friend stuff.
Alright, you got me. I just couldn't help being possessive of you, if you know what I mean. It isn't everyday that you get to call someone your "best friend". Distance might just cripple that. So I guess I didn’t want you to have a reason to find a new best friend. I was scared
you will. Maybe you have. I wouldn’t know. I don’t want to know.
Of course,
you know what eventually happened. My parents won me over and I got stuck here
in the province. But I never forgot you. Never. Naturally, I made new college
friends. Some of them even wanted to take our friendships to a higher level. Best friend, that’s what they wanted. I
never gave in. You are my only best friend. By then, we only saw each other
every semestral break—sometimes, even not at all. I didn’t mind. You were still
my best friend. My ONLY best friend.
Distance
may have toyed with us. But time never forgets.
Just last
year, I woke up to the unthinkable. At first, I could not believe it. Neither
did my close friends who thought it was just a cover-up. I must have underwent
every stage of denial imaginable, but it was still there, and I was sure it was true. By the end, it was too overwhelming that it was already irrefutable.
I was
already in love with you.
I was so scared.
Surely, I could not tell this to you. Our friendship is a treasure that is
dearest to my heart. I could not bear to lose my only stronghold. I tried to
shake off the feeling, hoping it was just some sort of delusion, praying it
was just my mind playing tricks with me.
But it
stayed—persistent up to this day; enduring up to this day. To my condescension.
To my beatitude.
This feeling remains
ever so strong, that despite what is slowly becoming of us, it remains steadfast.
Physical
distance may have caused us to “grow apart”. I guess it’s a natural occurrence.
You don’t want it to proceed, but it happens anyway. Just as the cherry blossoms
that were once in full bloom—seemingly eternally bound to the tree—in due
course falls off and lands to the ground at the rate of 5 centimeters per second,
so must we—seemingly inseparable with our hands locked together as we sauntered
the entire expanse of our former high school—face the looming reality that we
are, actually, “growing apart”.
It doesn’t
matter that we barely communicate with each other anymore, much less tell each
other of our whereabouts. It doesn’t even matter that you might have already
found a replacement for me as your best friend. It doesn’t even matter that you
don’t think about me anymore.
Because even
if I just watch you from a distance…
I will
love you just as much.

0 comments:
Post a Comment