Saturday, December 17, 2011

The best Christmas gift ever!

Last night has got to be the happiest night in all my years as a choir trainer.

Two of the choirs I trained won top prizes in their respective categories during the recently concluded 5th Ilocos Sur Provincial Choir Competition. I felt like I was being transported into an entirely different dimension of lofty bliss as the numbers of both my choirs were announced with their respective awards. In that moment, I felt the heaven open up in joyous acclaim. St. Cecilia played a delightful tune on her lyre, while the angels sang in gaiety. It was certainly a night to remember.

The SPCIS Chorale, a choir I have been teaching for four years already, finally copped the championship title of this prestigious competition. Not just that: they bested five other high schools within the province, thus further augmenting the initial elation that we felt. We finally beat Narvacan National Catholic School (NNCHS) in the bid for the top spot. What a sweet reprisal! I can still vividly remember four years ago, when we lost to them by a mere 0.4 points. I never quite got over that defeat, so I trained my choristers to their limits, just like flogging horses in preparation for a war.

Thank God our efforts paid off. Yesterday, we finally reaped the fruits of our labor.

Final rehearsals before the competition. Havin' the jitters here.
Right after the performance, everyone was feeling pretty confident about
the results of the competition. As the cliche goes, "It's in the bag."
Together with Vice Governor DV Savellano during the awarding of winners.
All smiles for the camera! 
Jubilation! "Yes, after FOUR YEARS, nanalo din kami!"


I also trained the St. Catherine Parish Music Ministry choir, who won 3rd place in the open category division. They competed with six other choirs, also besting the 3-peat defending champions in the open category: the Candon City Male Choir. I was so relieved when the emcee called out “number 3” for the 3rd place. I was in the middle of an interview when they announced the results. In my excitement, I courteously requested for an exit in the middle of the interview and went prancing on to the stage like a freed prisoner.

Finally, a consolation for all the hard work we put into a 6-minute performance. All those 7PM to 11PM practices were worth it!

Of course I had to finish the NBN TV interview. It was an opportunity to
praise the Lord for this blessing even just in local TV.
The St. Catherine Parish Music Ministry choir. 
Together with SBM Ronnie Rapanut and Director Benny Ragucos.
More than a choir-trainer relationship, a special bond was formed
between each of us. I'm going to terribly miss my titas and
titos in this group!

I was floating on cloud eighteen. Yes, I’m good in arithmetic, thank you very much.

I know that both of my choirs were not able to pull off perfect performances last night. The SPCIS Chorale started off roughly on both songs, and the St. Catherine Parish Music Ministry weren’t able to nail the modal shift in the middle of “Dagiti bit-bituen sadiay langit”; but I think that their main advantage over other choirs was their desire to entertain the audience and their drive to just enjoy the performance. Each face radiated an aura of confidence; each body swayed to the upbeat pulse of “Jingle Bells Calypso”. That is the reason the audience also enjoyed our performances—and probably the reason we won.

Unwarranted applause scattered intermittently during the performance of the SPCIS Chorale. The crisp clapping managed to travel towards my ear, and it felt divine. I was so overjoyed that when I was conducting, I couldn’t help but dance to the rhythm of “Pong pong guinapong”. I don’t care if my butt was full of beans on that stage last night—I was at the height of inexplicable ecstasy; music and man become one. I felt the music rushing through my blood vessels, fully awakening my senses. The stage lights danced in rhythmic accord to each movement of my hands, forming kaleidoscopic images in my enthused mind. It’s astounding what things music could actually do to you. As for me, I won’t need to try LSD and all those stuff… I’ve got my music to make me high.

Add these victories, now I’m on Heroin.



Here is NBN Ylocos' scoop on this event.
Do pardon my incoherence during the interview.
I was still doing a reality check at the time! Haha! :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise