One more powerful than I will come after me. I am not fit to untie His sandal straps. (St. John the Baptist)
What
is the most difficult thing you ever had to do in your life?
Upon
hearing this question, some people might reminisce the moment when they had to
make a life-changing decision; some might even cite their greatest achievement,
or their most recent development in their respective leisure pursuits. Most
people would rack their brains for something worth sharing; something people
would remember even weeks from the conversation—I guess for some people,
finding an answer to the above question is the most difficult thing they ever had to
deal with yet.
Permit
me to do so, but I would like to answer in behalf of most people out there who
could not find a rather personal approach in tackling this question.
What
is the most difficult thing you ever had to do in your life? Simple: Being
HUMBLE.
Oh yeah, that’s difficult, some of you might muse. But then again, it ain’t as difficult as the
time when I… (gibberish)
Cut
the swagger. Now I see you really have a difficult time doing so—you know,
being humble and all that stuff.
I
think difficult is even an understatement. But then, it was never easy.
I don’t how the case might have been, but I was always wondering about how and why pride has become second nature to man. We’ve always had our egos to protect; our possessions to brag about; our supposed infallibility to assert. Every day dealings are sickening interplays of someone’s pride with another’s, with intermittent interludes of pretentious modesty. Why do we keep doing this?
Let’s
trace back the long history of man, back into the days of our symbolic parents,
Adam, and Eve. Wasn’t it pride that moved them to sin in the first place? Wasn’t
it their desire to surpass God the cause of man’s fall?
We’ve
always had this overwhelming feeling of self-importance. We’ve always held on
to power if we’re given the chance to possess it; never yielding to anything
that would challenge our clout. Wasn’t it this pride that brought forth the
countless wars that spilled the blood of hundreds of millions of people across
the span of our species’ existence?
We
have never compromised our self-righteousness for the sake of anyone, even our
loved ones. Isn’t it pride that is slowly dissolving our homes into mere social
systems that can disintegrate easily whenever a compromise cannot be settled
just as to please the sensibilities of the other? It’s funny how it is much easier
to nurture an imaginary ego than to lower self in pursuit of forgiveness.
I
may be a critic, but I’m no hypocrite. Yes, I oftentimes find myself in
situations where a display of egotism is inevitable and downright gratifying. Like,
who wouldn’t gladly flaunt their successes to the utter amazement of everyone
within earshot? Who would easily give up his own ideals at the expense of
others’, and at the expense of his own dignity?
Some
people, in malicious pretence or just in desperation for a noticeable external
manifestation, claim, “I AM HUMBLE”. Yet, in so doing, they have already made a
proud person of themselves. What the heck… isn’t there a shortcut towards meekness?
Humility—a very difficult trait to succumb to
indeed.
Now,
as we prepare the way for the coming of the Lord, we are called to practice
humility. I believe that humility is the most important requisite to fully and
genuinely worship God. For what is a man’s worship when He does not humble
himself to the greatness of the Lord?
Man
has never seen such a quintessence of humility as the Lord Himself. Who would
ever think that God, someone who created us and is most superior amongst all of
us, willingly became human, to be persecuted and to be put to death for our
salvation? This fact is beyond the comprehension of our mortal minds. Yet,
sometimes we choose to ignore the essence of all His sacrifices. Instead, we
shrug it all off, unmindful of His sufferings, but heedful to our personal
wants and caprices.
Let
us remember that there is someone greater than us in all aspects; let us remember
that we have a God who is an overseer of all things here on Earth; let us
remember that we are held closely in the hollow of His hands, forever cherished.
Let
us bask in God’s greatness, rather than our own. Let us recognize our need for Christ. Let us be cognizant of God's presence in every facet of our being. Let us remember that in this infinite universe, we are but a speck of dust, unworthy of greatness, insignificant to the whole creation.
For what is the cause for us to be proud of?
Now, with all humility, let us call out to the Lord:
Show us, O Lord, Your KINDNESS
and grant us Your SALVATION.
Cry for Humility by Christ Our Life
0 comments:
Post a Comment