
It has always been my dream to give a valedictory address someday. Unfortunately, I have never been a valedictorian my entire life, so when I was given an opportunity to speak in front of you, I thought I'm make use of it, make it as valedictory speech-ish as possible. Honestly, up until a few minutes back, I still wasn't able to come up with anything to say for this "farewell speech". I always sucked in saying goodbye. My feeling during these "parting times" were always ineffable, so much that interrogations often leave me reticent and shut-mouth. Unfortunately, we have no choice but to embrace the looming inevitability of emancipation--a painful but otherwise a real thing we must accept and go through. Now, as I tread the forward path that will hopefully lead me closer to the realization of my aspirations and reveries, I look back with gratitude to all those who have, in one way or another, helped me to reach the bottom of this pedestal that I know I'll reach the top of eventually. Who's to say when? I just know I can make it.
Of course, to the sisters of St. Paul of Chartres, my unending gratitude goes out to all of you. Many raised their eyebrows when you accepted me to become a part of your team of highly competent nursing instructors. Notwithstanding that, you believed in me. My presence in this institution has never been fully justified; but still, you never gave up on me. I am and will be forever indebted to your loving care, and I will forever be proud to have been under your tutelage wherever I may end up.
To all my teachers from grade school to high school to college--who eventually became my colleagues, and more importantly, my friends... A year ago, I never would have thought I could become just like you, considering the course I took. Yet, as an old adage would say, "Everything happens for a reason." If it were not for this experience, I wouldn't be sure if I would be able to hurdle the impending barriers that threaten to block my path in the future. That is why I'm always worked up whenever I try to say thank you. My thoughts fall short whenever I would attempt to grapple for words that could give justice to the vehemence of my gratitude. Everything that I already am and will still become will always be paid back to all of you. Thank you. I will always come back and I will never get tired of thanking all of you.
I cannot name all of you in this room, but I know that each one of you here has had an indirect impact on my development not just as a faculty, but more importantly, as a person. From my daily lunch dates with our manangs at the canteen to my countless counseling sessions with the guidance counselors--all of you meant so much. Thank you. The memories that we have shared will always remained ingrained in my persona. I hope that you will remember me, in as much that I will remember each of you.
"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel." -Morrie from Mitch Albom's 'Tuesdays with Morrie'(Cue to sing Arnel Aquino's "Huwag Limutin")
This was the extemporaneous 'farewell speech' I delivered during the 'goodbye rites' held awhile ago at school. Emotionally charged as it may seem, I was rather calm when I was delivering it. Does this incongruence hint a shameless stoicism. Hells to the no. I can be sentimental too, you know. I'm not just the cathartic type. What are tears for anyway? I will be leaving St. Paul College of Ilocos Sur, part and parcel of which is the realization it will certainly bring in some changes; but that won't mean I'm going to settle for the dreaded stagnation.
![]() |
Unreserved with a hint of tranquil daring, I'm going to set out to the world and conquer its vastness. When I have finally reached the top of this pedestal I am ever so careful to climb successfully, I can come back to this school, head held high, and say, "You have propelled me to greatness. This is what I have become now."
Mushy? Nah. I think it's just right.

0 comments:
Post a Comment