Thursday, March 29, 2012

On properly-sung Hallelujahs



My friend, Regine Garabiles, singing her heart out to Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s Alleluia from “Exsultate Jubilate” during her Graduation Recital at the Founder’s Hall, St. Paul University of Manila. Accompanying her on the piano is my teacher, Ms. Melissa Taqueban.
When Regine invited me to come and watch her graduation recital, I politely declined, being fully aware that I wouldn't be able to make it due to proximity issues. If there had been other viable transportation options aside from a 10-hour bus ride going to Manila, I would've went without second thoughts. Damn.
On another note, I was able to enjoy Regine's take on this sunny but challenging piece. Her control is totally jaw-dropping; those runs… gaah--totally divine! Don’t get me started with her animated expressions. She made it seem like a walk in the park, so much that mid-way through her performance, I almost forgot that this piece is a notorious singer-killer. She sure sang the hell out of this piece. Somehow, I just can't get enough.
Nodame-wise, everything was color pink, just like how Mozart would've wanted it to be sung. When she opened her mouth to sing the first note, I felt the heavens open up in exultation, her voice rising above that of the Cherubims in their relentless Hallelujahs.
The song was aptly-chosen, her performance being a fitting tribute to the Lord's greatness. Alleluia indeed!
I’ve always looked up to Regine as an incredibly talented singer. Although a live performance from her came by so rarely owing to our distance, I would say that she has improved a LOT since the first time I heard her sing. 
Sweet mother of God. If only I had been there, I would've given her the standing ovation she rightfully deserves.
Bravissima, my friend! I look forward to hearing more of your beautiful voice. Brava!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise