Damn she has to do that more often.
As I was
reeling in my exultant forethought of the event, there came a sudden let-down. Well,
my expectations for the ‘alone time’ I was longing for were shattered into
smithereens when she texted that she’d be bringing along a friend from Manila…
a male friend, to be exact.
At that precise
moment, I plummeted back to the ground with a tidal-wave inducing intensity.
I’m kidding—seriously.
Anyway, I
got to meet Paul Mendoza, Rai’s ‘friend’. It was his first time here in Vigan,
so I deemed it just right for my innate Bigueño
hospitality to take over, and decided to tour him to the best tourist spots around here.
This was not without its benefits, however, as I was able to experience Vigan
in an entirely different light. I never imagined touring a stranger to the place where you could safely claim as your territory for twenty years now to be this much fun. Now, I’m actually considering a career in tour guiding.
If only
someone out there would advertise my services—seriously.
Anyway, we only
had the entire afternoon to spend, so as not to waste any time, after a scrumptious
snack at “Tummy Talk”, I treated them to a Calesa ride to Bantay belltower,
Syquia mansion, and Pagburnayan. We were able to climb up the Bantay bell tower
and see the picturesque aerial view of the entire Metro Vigan as we got amazed
by the stories of Brother Francis, a caretaker of the bell tower. We also got
to see the theft-worthy antiques of the Syquia mansion, the family house of the
former President Elpidio Quirino. Lastly, we got to make our own burnays
(native Ilocano earthenware) in Pagburnayan.
| Got served with some delicious pasta before heading out for a Vigan tour. |
| Kutsero's viewpoint. Sometimes, the horse's behind is as exciting as the scenery that pass you by. Ain't this just picturesque? |
| Epic photo in front of the bell tower is epic. |
| The splendor of the bell tower in another perspective. |
| Catching up. Yeah, we're doing it right. |
| It was pretty breezy at the top of the bell tower. Enjoyed the strong winds alongside with the exhilarating views. |
| Souvenir photo. (from right to left) Rainick, Bro. Francis, Master Nori, and Paul. |
| An imposing portrait of the late Elpidio Quirino will welcome you at the Syquia mansion. |
| Karwahe. Just goes to prove how wealthy the Syquia people were. Sheesh. Amateurs. |
| Mirror, mirror. A supposed indicator of affluence during the ancient times, the mansion was filled with these enormous thingamabobs. |
| This Ming dynasty bell is an indicator of the Syquia family's social status. Yes, you are of nobility. We get that already! |
| Is it a pot or a pitcher? Or is that her heart being gently tendered to someone? |
| This one's definitely a pot. No questions asked. |
| Props to Paul for being the first to try out this pottery thing. He seems to enjoy molding his very own burnay. (P.S. All of the above photos were obtained through the courtesy of Paul) |
It might actually be shameful to admit this, but in my 20 years of existence, I have never actually gotten to try this pottery thing that has got so many of the tourists so hyped about Vigan. It was my first time to work behind a potter’s wheel and mold my own ‘burnay’! Well, I certainly couldn’t do it like the pros, but man did I enjoy every sticky and muddy moment of it. I love this 'first'.
After 3 long
hours of sitting behind the kutchero (the driver of the calesa), we finally decided to take that final
dismount (which turned out to be successful, thank God) so we could go
grab ourselves a sumptuous snack at Insiang’s empanada.
Malasadong okoy and Special empanada, anyone?
Before
we parted ways, Rai and Paul stopped by my place for a short sojourn because
they wanted to copy the video file of one of my favourite animes, “GRAVE OF THE
FIREFLIES” (1985). Inevitably, I played some anime tunes on my piano for
Rainick before we finally said our goodbyes. I get so blissful each time she
gives me the ‘two-thumbs up’ in appreciation for my playing—leaves me wanting
to work on more of these kinds of pieces for her to listen to.
Anyway, I
absolutely enjoyed every moment I spent with my best friend; and of course, I
also enjoyed Paul’s company. Each second’s worth of catching-up was time
well-spent and well-recorded in my memory. Over-all, this has got to be the
best day-before-Christmas date ever.
"Wait, so this was supposed to be a date in the first place?"
"Wait, so this was supposed to be a date in the first place?"
Oh, shut up.
0 comments:
Post a Comment