Monday, December 26, 2011

My Round Christmas

December 25 is something I look forward to celebrate every year. It is one of those rare occasions when I would get to see my kinsfolk gathered up in our family house where we would fill our tummies with my father’s home cooking, chatter about prattles that doesn’t necessarily concern us, belt out ridiculously high tunes in the videoke, and spend the rest of the afternoon bonding out in the streets of Vigan.

At first I thought this year’s Christmas day wouldn’t go so well. During Noche Buena, my lola was constantly complaining of an excruciating back pain. In an apparently unbearable episode, she cried out the words, “Matayak kuman Apo.” (“Lord, please kill me now.”) The tuna pasta I was about to gobble down stopped in mid-air when the remark reached my ears. Now that wasn’t really the proper thing to say in front of people who were in the middle of Christmas festivities, was it? She kept on mumbling about death as we tried to manage the situation. There was a noticeable change in the atmosphere, and as a result, my Dad didn’t join the gift-opening session in exasperation and I suddenly lost interest in all the gifts waiting to be unwrapped laid in front of me. Good thing my sister was unmindful of the prior incident, so she went on to unwrap all of her presents, including the cosmetic kit I bought her out of jest.


What a way to kick off Christmas, I daresay.

Anyway, the good thing about having 24 hours in a day is that if you messed up for the first few hours, you could always have 20+ more hours to patch things up. I wasn’t going to let the Christmas spirit in me get sucked up by this initial debacle, especially on Christmas day.

After a good night’s sleep, I woke up to the saliva-dropping aroma of my father’s home cooking. I quickly got up and helped in the preparations for the traditional Christmas reunion. There were onions to be chopped here, pork to be minced there, guests to be welcomed, and freshly-cooked food to be tasted (Ah, the joys of helping out in the kitchen!). Everyone felt like chefs that day—well not particularly me, as I did more tasting than cooking.


 After lunch, my Dad put on the videoke, getting us pumped up, being the videoke whores we really are. As the older ones gulped in continuous shots of whiskey, we tried to entertain them with our wonderful crooning. I even got them surprised after I did a female voice impersonation (I mean, really guys, is it really the first time you’ve heard me do doble-kara?). The fun was heaped on when my nephews and nieces joined the fun and tried to sing their vocal chords out trying to best out our acts (but sorry guys, you couldn’t do it like the pros. *wink*).


At about 3pm, I invited some of my cousins to have a walk to Plaza Maestro, where I told to them pick out intermediately-priced items so they can take it as gifts for themselves. Imagine my joy when they would ecstatically explore every aisle and laugh at each other for taking so long to choose the things they wanted to buy. It took us 3 hours before we could finish with the shopping. Always the same thing with girls: they want to burrow through every pile of clothing wear just to choose the clothes that would cater their liking… or probably I’m just generalizing. Yeah, I’m just generalizing.

One of the greater surprises I received during that day was when my cousin and Ate Rocel (our house help) handed me a small Doraemon plush toy on the way home. It seems that while I wasn’t looking, they tried to pitch in whatever small amount they could share just to buy me this toy. Deeply touched, I was at loss for words of gratitude as they handed me their gift. I walked home, deeply immersed into the Christmas spirit that was flowing over my immediate surroundings.

As we looked up the skies ahead of us, the stars started to twinkle in one accord, as if to celebrate the most joyous event of the year.

So what started off as an apparently disconsolate Christmas day ended with a happy note. *Sigh.*

Happy birthday Jesus! Thank you for coming into this world and for teaching us how to give love even in the simplest way possible!

Hope you had a happy Christmas!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC; more resources at BlogXpertise